Chris mentioned:

"I was told the new bugs and VW's in general nowadays were very prone to breakdown and bad dealer support. The fact that my parents' Jetta was a TOTAL LEMON didn't help that.

 I like the TDI bugs, what can you tell us about your experience?"

My Bug has been flawless both mechanically and cosmetically. I've had a headlight bulb replaced, a rear headrest replaced, and the rear brakes replaced...all under warrenty. Well...the brakes were actually a recall thing I seem to remember. It has consistantly got 46mpg (auto, AC, girl driven). It goes like a scalded dog. I need to get the timing BELT done soon (VW says 60K if auto) so that will be the first real work that has ever been done. Having used M1 since new, I expect everything to be perfect inside when the do the timing belt. I really wish it had a timing chain.
All in all, I'd say my experience with the Bug has been great.

Bob Rentfro
'77 300D 147K
'01 VW Beetle TDI 59K
Litchfield Park, AZ