Curt Raymond wrote:
Interesting, I've had my Inspiron 8500 for 2 1/2 years now. Today I poppd the K
key off to get something out from under it (bit of fingernail it turned out)
and broke the key. I called Dell support (smart IT manager got us gold support
which is good until November) and they're shipping a new keyboard out.
  This laptop has been across the continent with me several times (Last spring
I went from Halifax, NS to Mountain View, CA and back to MA in one week). I've
dropped it, slapped it, slammed it and just plain used it hard and its never
failed or even whimpered.

You *do* get the occasional good one, but it's a crap shoot. The Inspiron 8500 seems to have been one of their more durable ones -- I know of one other example that held up well.