IIRC, the V8 has more torque, which is what a truck needs.
Well, no.  Not really.  But sort of.

It's a good first approximation.  Torque maps to
acceleration, whereas horsepower maps to top speed.
A 200HP 400#' engine will likely be _far_ more drivable
than a 300HP 200#' engine, assuming equivalence in other
broad parameters.  (RPM range, reasonable number of
gears, etc.)

I seem to recall that the Cummins in my truck had
roughly the same HP rating as one of the gas engines,
but something like 2x the torque.  WAY more drivable
as a working truck.  The V10 meet or beat the diesel,
but had lots more horsepower and a considerably larger
fuel appetite.  My boss, who had one, said it would
pass anything but a gas station.  I think he got
around 10 MPG, not towing, whereas I got 20.

The 55HP Frankenheap (diesel) is much more pleasant to
drive around than the 90 HP 190D.  The 190D will kick
the heap's butt on high-speed road trips, though, and
get better mileage doing it.

-- Jim