I suspect your definition of "drivable" is probably similar to mine

Probably.  I distinguish between drivable and race-able.
If you have to downshift in order to accelerate, for
_normal_ driving, that's bad.

So with a suitable transmission, and a willingness to put the
engine in the right RPM range, the 300 HP engine will out
accelerate the 200 HP.  Probably.  Though torque curves,
transmission ratios, RPM limits, etc. really muddle things.

Yes.  But you are going to have to use a racer mindset
to do it.  For drivability, IMHO, you want a system whose
torque curve _rises_ as RPM falls, rather than drops off
precipitously.  Those tend to hold their speed when the
load increases, like on small gradients.  Sucks to have
to drop a gear on a 0.1% grade.  Peaky engines can win
races, if they've got enough gears, but it's a lot of
work to drive that sort of thing.

-- Jim