Peter,

I have found the W140 to be a pretty robust platform, and relatively cheap to
maintain and work on.  My 95 S500 coupe is rapidly approaching 275k, and it's
running great and has had minimal issues.  Parts are readily available and not
terribly expensive.

I will be adding another W140 to the fleet in the near future, only this time
it will be a later model and a sedan.

For $5k-$7k you can get a nice late 90s W140 with less than 150k on it that
will go another 200k easily.

They are comparable if not better than a W126 when it comes to comfort and
ride, and the later amenities make them even nicer.

I have looked ahead of the W140s, but not liked what I saw.  With this in mind
I'm sticking to W140s and older.

Dan