Look in the owners manual and all will be revealed.
The problem is that low octane fuel will make the engine run like poo because the thing will retard itself to compensate and therefore you will have less power and higher fuel consumption. I run my 230E on 95 octane (over here 91 is standard and 98 is ultra premium) which it seems happy with. I have tried 91 but it sounds like a diesel (no self retardation in the K-jetronic setup) and with 98 there seems to be no difference when compared to 95.

Hendrik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Snook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 6:01 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Premium Gas or Not?

I have not had a gas Mercedes since 1998 and it was a 1971 (that
originally ran on regular i.e. leaded gas), so I am not clear on the
premium gas requirement on newer gasser MB's.   Do I really need to run
premium in my 1990 300SEL?   I am pretty sure the simple answer will be
yes. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on this issue.

Donald H. Snook

1990 300SEL 122K arriving soon.

1992 Olds 98 Regency 121K FOR SALE CHEAP

1998 Ford Explorer 97K  (Wife's car)