I had IVIG treatments back in the late 90s when my disease 1st raised its ugly head. I was to the point I was only sleeping 10 min or so at a time due to pain and those 10 min were not very restful. It's amazing what sleep deprivation will do.

The 1st IVIG treatment was pretty effective. I got about 5 hours of great sleep for a change. 6 months later I got another IVIG treatment and it was effective for a couple of months. We tried once more but I didn't see change at all. we then went to narcotics and my neurologists turned me over to a Anesthesiologist who tried similar methods before putting a pump under the skin with Dilaudid (concentrated morphine) in it dripping into my spine.

at some point in the early '00s, a med called Lyrica was developed which made a huge positive difference. But I'm not so sure the original diagnosis was 100% accurate.

I'd like to try weight loss and exercise but it's so hard to exercise when my legs are a problem. My ortho surgeon suggested water exercise which I hope to try soon. so we'll see.

mao said he forgot what caused the need for IVIG -- nerve damage. There are variants but I was told mine is Chronic Inflammatory demylinating polyneuropathy. (CIDP) . There's also Guilleme Berret (sp?) which can also be quite bad. My only symptom is extreme pain while others have pain and muscle loss causing some to become wheelchair bound. Others have seen remission and have become almost 100% again.

Back to mao - my problem is the mylin covering on the nerve bundles is being attacked by antibodies - when mylin is lost the signals to the brain are confused. The nerve bundles look like millions of sausage strings and the casing would be the mylin.

Wilt & I both have the same disease - when I was getting the IVIG I was told it was a $10K prescription -- thankfully I have insurance that covered it. Some people have IVIG treatments very often - like 2-3 per week. Maybe that would have helped me? But since the 3rd single treatment didn't help it wasn't suggested that I continue. Plus, for me, it was such an unpleasant experience i was not in much of a hurry to repeat treatments. I am convinced one of the injections caused a DVT (blood clot in leg) even though the Neur. said that wasn't the cause. I'm convinced the thick, cold fluid that was fed into my vein did not breakdown enough before reaching my legs and caused the blood in my leg to coagulate causing the clot. But that's my interpretation.

Before this (in ~1996) I never lost time from work due to illness. But this makes up for it. ;-)

The fun just never ends...

LarryT
91 300D