If you want to store the files on a hard drive, and never need to make a cd or dvd, (or mp3 player) wouldn't it be possible to save the file as a .wav analog file and play that on demand? Or is the .wav way to big to do this?

It seems to me that other than file size, the .wav might be the closest in quality to the original vinyl.

I had not heard of this flac file type before. I gather it is a digital more or less equivalent to the .wav file. Is that correct?

Greg F sez:
<< No, he is using the turntables A/D converter to make the analog into digital files and recording them in Audacity. He then makes a digital copy and edits that in Sound Forge. Finally, he's using Sound Forge to compress it to an MP3.>>