On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Not that I know, but then again, I buy enterprise grade drives for my
> RAIDs.  I guess the consumer grade stuff could be wonky like that.

Enterprise grade fails too, but shipping mixes them up so customers don't
see it, even if there is a single bad line.  As I understand it the drive's
life is mostly limited because of the tolerances of the components; if you
have a single run of every component in manufacturing, it is somewhat more
likely they will fail at about the same time in the same usage
environment.  On the other hand your enterprise drives probably have a 10
or 20 year MTBF, by which time you've already replaced them.

Of course you are probably using RAID 5 or 6 too, so even if you have a
couple drives fail at almost the same time you can easily recover.  If two
drives out of a RAID 0 fail, and that -was- your backup, you have a
problem. :)

Best,
Tim