Where I used to live in Italy (just north of Naples), the ground elevation
could change by 5 or 10 feet in a matter of months, due to the volcanic
activity so close to the surface.  Our command had to have a "Continuity of
Operations Plan" to relocate in the event of a volcanic eruption.

The earth has never been static (in geology and in climate) and it never
will be.  This is just the way it is.  Man will adapt and survive, as he
has done so for millenia...