Used to be the current Carolina lowlands were 150 miles from the ocean.  Very
populated lands with hundreds of villages are now underwater.  Did the natives
think they caused the seas to sweep into their lands because they had done some
ignoble thing to the environment?   What did the people in the Great Basin do
to cause that massive inland sea to shrink into such a tiny, briny puddle?
Maybe the tribes who were living in what is now the Columbia Basin ran their
snow blowers too long, or lit too many hearth fires, attempting to stay warm,
that they caused Lake Missoula to flow out, time and time again, wiping away
not only the people but scouring out a quite scenic gorge all the way to the
Pacific.

I doubt that some hairless mammals who emerged as a viable society over the
past 20 thousand years, let alone become sufficiently industrialized in only
the last 200, is to blame for ecological changes that have been going along
just fine without them for three billion years are going to have any impact on
global climate in the next 50 or 200 years.

clay