I had been brought up understanding that schooling was to learn how to think.

The new schooling is to find out what to think.  The more ivory tower, the
gooder you are schooled.  If you have to think, then you have failed.  Just be
able to recite the mantra, and all your peers will believe you to be learned.
Original thought is frowned upon, because you might say truths that must not be
acknowledge.  All the smart folk know the emperor is the height of fashion.
Only the stupid people can see his skivvies.

clay