Using a crockpot runs counter to what I learned in school - that cooking
destroys vitamins. Therefore, the less cooking time the more vitamins are
preserved.  I usually steam veggies for a couple minutes, then turn off the
heat for 3 or 4 more mins. with the lid on.  I also grill whenever
possible.

Grilled corn:  Soak unhusked ears in the sink for 15 minutes or longer.
Grill on a propane grill (H) for 7.5 minutes, then turn and cook for
another 7.5 mins.  Remove and place in a paper bag to cool slightly.  Then
husk and devour.