The public ignorance on this subject is appalling, and BHO did a "good job"
exploiting emotion and ignorance this morning.  The gun show loophole is a
myth.  All gun dealers do the instant background check every time, for that
check is worth (obviously not much).  Universal background checks are
equivalent to universal gun registration.  Federal gun laws are potent and
quite actionable but the Justice Department appears to have little interest
in using those laws to incarcerate violent criminals.  Perhaps the powers
that be need a level of crime (or the perception thereof) for political
leverage (like "fast and furious"?)