So at the water board meeting this morning our engineer was talking about some problems in the distribution system, seems as though a coupla weeks ago in the early morning the SCADA system started sending alarms, which woke her up, sensors on our 3 tanks were all over the place then one failed. Looked like a power hit but there were no storms in the area, so it was the powerco sending out trash power, voltage up and down, surges, etc. which blew a $900 sensor on the tank that is pretty much across the road from my vast estate.

The manager of the other system on Seabrook Island, just down the road, said they were getting voltage readings on a 480V line of 420-540V, all over the map, and that they lost a well pump (2300ft in the hole) they are going to have to pull and replace for $3k.

I said, when was that again? It was exactly the time my AC unit board blew out, and we are on the same circuit as the water tank, and Seabrook feed off the same substation that is just down the road, so the powerco's shitty power blew out my $500 control board, the water cos' $900 sensor and $3k pump. I wonder how many others lost electronics that night?

She says the powerco won't guarantee clean power on the Island, so we are all pretty much screwed on the cost of the equipment. Nice. So I need to look at getting some surge protectors on my AC units (220V 30A circuits) -- are there line surge protectors I can wire in at the shutoffs by the units? Or at the panel?

I guess I need to get some little UPSs or surge protectors for my TVs and stereo equipment too. I have been thinking about that anyway as there are lightning hits around quite often, so that makes sense, and now with the AC unit.

--FT