Actually, folks east of NOLA the did the same kind of self help after
Katriba.  Places like Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, and even Gulfport
(where Katrina actually struck) rolled up their sleeves and started digging
out.  Apparently, the NOLA strategy was to hope the storm would miss them
(which it did). ignore their own emergency plans, and then cry for outside
help (and blame others) when the levees eventually broke.