An oil analysis from Larry is the cheap insurance I use. My OM603 engine
has a MB limit of 2% soot - at 12,000 miles on M1 the analysis showed 1.5%
soot - but I'd already changed it by then. I did slowly creep up to 12,000
miles with analysis telling me that I could still go longer. I also then
had a wear record of the engine via the analysis - nothing going on at all.
IIRC, it had over 200,000 at that time.
On the other hand, I've changed the oil three times already on the F150
that only has 7,000 miles on it - due to time, not miles (once a year).

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Dan--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for weighing in Roger.
>
> While the 3000 mile interval may be dated or anecdotal, I feel the same
> way about getting the crud out of the engine.
>
> And again, it's a very small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Dan
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Sep 19, 2016, at 4:05 PM, rogerhga--- via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would add to this that the 3K oil change is more important to a diesel
> than a gas engine. When I changed my diesels at 3K, I felt good about
> getting all the dirt and soot out of the engine. So, while it might be
> marketing, it was worth it to me. And the engines are still going strong
> after many years and many miles.
> > Best Wishes,
> > Roger
> > Roger Hale