The two computers I had (have, actually) that used cassette interfaces were
always fairly reliable, though naturally slow.  (Home computing had a long
history of cassette interfaces prior to the machines we've been
discussing.)  I used a Pioneer piano-key cassette recorder that was notably
better in audio quality than the usual.  A KD-12?  It was also the 'sound
system' in my college dorm room.

One of those computers later got a computer-controlled cassette tape drive
that was considerably faster.  I no longer remember the data rate of the
interface, but I had it hooked to Forth, to load 'screens'.  It would seek,
forwards and backwards.  I designed the tape format so that it could scan
screen headers as it rewound, so that it wasn't guessing when it would turn
around and go forwards to do the read.  There was only one speed, fast, not
separate speeds for FF/RW and reading.  It was kind of cool, in a totally
obsolescent way.  That same computer got floppies, a serial RS-232
interface for a dial-up modem, 'gobs' of RAM, a 24x80 video, 6-channel
sound (beeps), and an EPROM programmer!

I had _so_ much fun with that thing.  The projects I accomplished on it
were pretty much directly responsible for my getting my first real job.  A
dream job, I might add.

-- Jim