Not dependable? Really? When I first got my Apple II the cassette tape was all I had for a couple of years before I saved enough money to get the 5.5 floppy drive. I never had the first problem with it. Just lucky I guess or a good cassette player.

Manfred

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 01:31:31 -0600
From: fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com>

Curt wrote:

... my first computer, the TI99/4A. ...I casually mentioned that
my first computer had 16KB of RAM and we saved programs to audio
tape. ... The younger folks didn't believe you could save
programs to audio tape so we had a learning moment...

Sure!  You could _save_ the program to audio tape - but how often
were you able to _load_ from audio tape?  In that respect, the TI
was pretty weak.  We had better luck with reel-to-reel at higher
tape speeds than with cassette, but it was still not very dependable.