I suspect it's all up to who you hire.

We've used inspectors on every purchase or sale we've done since 1986, and
every one of them has been great. We vet them carefully and always get
references, which may have something to do with our success.

The last one we used spent over four hours on our current home when we
purchased it. There was a report (with pictures) of over forty pages we got
that evening as we were fast tracking our closing.

He even did a wind mitigation report as a part of his inspection, which is
usually done separately by an inspector to establish your insurance costs.
That saved us about $400 annually off our homeowner's insurance.

-D

Sent from my iPad