I think that was the not a delay into drive. The 3 seconds into reverse is a bit too much as 2 of my 83 300Ds and my daughter's 81 SD all go in in about 1 second. I did some more looking and from what I could find it seems the only transmissions that have a reverse band that can be adjusted are the older ones with only 4 bolts holding the pan on from then on all the ones with the 6 bolts have the reverse done internally with a clutch pack and the 1st gear is now the band.

I agree with Dan that the K fixes will do a bit of change to the way the transmission shifts.

Manfred

archer75--- via Mercedes wrote:
Dan answered both of our questions, Manfred. The delay in reverse seems to be normal for
these transmissions, but mine will need 2 "Spring gudes" in order to correct
the 2-3 delay according to Dan.
Gerry

MG wrote:
Mine doesn't hesitate between 2-3 so probably the B2 piton won't need any fix. I was just poking at Andrew about needing a new transmission. I'll try to do an adjustment and see if it helps. Can you send me instructions on how to do that?

Manfred

archer75--- via Mercedes wrote:
When I bought my '83 300D in 2000 it had the reverse delay as well as a delay
between 2 and 3; neither of which could be corrected by adjustment.
Periodically I would decide to order a rebuilt transmission from Sun in
California but never got around to it. Gradually I got used to slightly backing
off the throttle when the transmission changed from 2 to 3 gear until I did it
without thinking about it. By doing that the transmission shifted normally.
Now, about 17 years and 130,000 miles later, I'm still driving it the same way
and will never get around to installing a rebuilt transmission although I might
spend a little over $100 and install a new (B-2?) piston through a plate in the
side of the transmission since I've been told that would correct the problem.
It is a 722.315 transmission.
YMMV
Gerry
MG wrote:
The transmission in my TD has had a delay going into reverse for over 5 years now more then 20k miles. I guess I'll have to get a rebuilt tranny right quick now.

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes wrote:
How much of a delay when going into reverse?  That could be a forewarning.
My 1983 300TD exhibited that behavior a few weeks before permanently losing
reverse + all forward gears in the Home Depot parking lot. You might want
to start shopping for a good used transmission to lug around in the trunk.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Dan--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>