I tend to agree with Clay.

Both the wife and I have set examples of how it takes hard work and extra
effort to be successful, both personally and professionally.  The youngest
seems to get it for the most part but the oldest never has.  He’s more about
excuses and why he can’t do something.  We are very confused by this as he’s
always been held accountable for his actions as his younger brother has, too.

All I can think of is working behind a hay wagon in 90 degree heat and humidity
in August in long sleeves and jeans for 12-14 hours a day. Holy. I would go
home and pretty much fall into bed, exhausted, and get up and do it again the
next day.  Come the weekend I had money in my pocket and gas in the tank and
was ready to have some fun.

Many young people we see today just seem to be interested in doing the absolute
minimum to get by and just want to have fun.  It’s not like the “I want what
you have but I haven’t realized I have to work hard to get it” thing, it almost
seems like a general malaise.  I understand the age gap and how we view
ourselves versus our “kids”, but I don’t think this is anything that our
parents saw.

-D