Thanks, but the budget won’t allow for market price.  That’s why I’m looking at
lower end options.

Understand that this car is going to go to someone who is not a car person -
it’s only transportation.  Loosely translated, that means it’s going to be
trashed in 2-3 years.  At least the interior will be.

If this were a family member that would take good care of the car with my
assistance as required, I would gladly gift my beloved 300D to them.  But I
know that’s not going to happen so I’m not about to give a pristine example of
a car to someone I know will destroy it in a few years.

This is also why I’m looking at low end cars - if they can work with a $1000
car for 2-3 years and it’s worth $500 when they’re done, fine.  The deal is
with a situation like this is that I get the (new) car prepped and roadworthy,
they sell their existing car for whatever they can get and give me the
proceeds.  That offsets my investment, effectively offsets what I’ve spent, and
they get reliable transportation for cheap that will last 2-3 years, hopefully
more.

Until they can afford to pay for their own vehicle, and maybe not even then,
will they appreciate what it’s worth.  Right now I’m just trying to provide
basic, reliable transportation.  I’m not dropping $3k-$5k into a decent car
that will just end up being destroyed.

-D