When I bought my 124 cabriolet, it had been abandoned at a garage and the
tow truck guy (a retired cop) went through the hassle of getting a new
title issued.  Here in SC the deal is the new "owner" sends a registered
letter to the last registered owner's address, I think the letter basically
says that if the registered owner doesn't respond in 90 days or some time
period, the state will cancel the old title and issue a new title to the
new owner.  Once the 90 days are up with no response to the state, new
owner can get a new title issued.

Check with your local sheriffs office or municipal police, they may even
have the info online.

Max
Charleston SC