Brian,
Yes studs are illegal some places now and elsewhere legal only for a
season-here it is  11/15-4/15. They have many advantages and some
drawbacks. I used them years ago on rear wheel drive-my Chevy II. Then
as I gradually switched over to FWD and AWED, I went over to all season
radials.  My 240D came with studded tires-I have driven them 4
winters-about 20k miles. The problem now is that the studs are worn
down, but there is a lot of  aggressive tread left -so I feel as if I am
throwing away good tires.  The main annoyance is the twice a year
switchover-I wish I had another set of wheels. I don't know the cost
factor of studs.
One of the major advantages is stopping on ice or hard packed snow. Next
winter I will use the blizzaks that someone gave me-hopefully for two
seasons. Then I will probably go back to studs. Like LT. Don, I hope to
be driving my 240D when the state of RI comes to take my license away
for old age.
Whether you have studs or not, I think with RWD in winter climes, four
aggressive snow tires are worth the investment and the hassle of change
overs. IMHO

Dwight Giles, Jr
1979 240D auto, 250K + miles
1990 300D 2.5t, 129K miles