I'll second the Blizzaks.  I've yet to run anything that compares.  Though
I've heard the Nokian's are up there as well.

As for the studs, my uncle told me that a friend of his once had a set on
and proceeded to do a burnout on one of those grated bridges.  (do they even
make those anymore?)
Oops, no more studs...  (:

Levi