I think your opinion of the clutch is pessimistic. Failure mode for those is
probably about the same as the alternator. In fact when I replaced the
alternator on my Jetta it appeared that the alternator was original, I love the
clutch to the new one. Sprag clutches are pretty simple and robust.

-Curt

    On Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 4:49:02 PM EST, Curley McLain via Mercedes