"What I've read is that the clutched pulleys can fail catastrophically," That is what bothers me. The existing system may rattle when the shock or the bearing are failing, but you never get stranded. My daughter is commuting about 400 miles a week in a 30 yr old car with 300K miles. Right now, I don't worry about it. I service the car for part of the year, and she has 2-3 other resources when needed. This spring I put a used tensioner bearing on it, and it is good again. Maybe some year I will get a number for the replacement bearing and replace one or two, so I don't have to buy the assembly.

Max Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 6, 2017 at 9:52 PM
What I've read is that the clutched pulleys can fail catastrophically, so the belt comes off and no water pump etc. However, they do fail gracefully and give some warning.