On Mar 24, 2006, at 3:02 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Last ticket I got was 4 years ago, before I got my V-1... and that
ticket also taught me that my speedometer was 4% slow (which I later
verified with a GPS - D'OH!!). I now know exactly how far off each of
my speedometers are... most are within 1-3% though. A little
edumacation goes a long way.

:)

-dm

Speaking of which, I earned a speeder on the Taconic State Parkway on Wednesday. My speedo is off by quite a bit, Like about 25%. I knew I was moving along pretty well and like I said earned it. I was driving my Euro 190D 2.5 auto trans. Here's the question: Are Euro speedos driven at a different speed than US versions? This car has only 65,000 mi and was purchased from the original owner who has stated that it has not had any work done to trans or rear end. I want my speedo to be accurate, within reason. It is my belief that I will need to change the gear(s) in the trans to correct it. This is where EPC Dave or Dr Booth may be able to help, although any other knowledgeable input is also appreciated; I need to know what the original rear-end ratio is for this car and also if it differs from US versions. Using this info I will be able to determine the correct speedo drive gear-set. Simply ordering a US drive gear would be a shot in the dark. The very polite (and young) trooper had to write the ticket for the actual speed. Actually the radar and on board computer do the writing automatically. I explained that although I knew I was speeding, I had no way of knowing how fast I was traveling. He told me that I will have to submit a statement from a repair shop stating that my speedo is in error. This will change a speeder to an equipment violation to which I can plead not guilty and upon production of a receipt for the necessary repair, the case will be dismissed. The fact that my license is spotless will also be a plus when the case is considered by the judge.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am