I agree, that's the classic description of a bad master cylinder.  When
faced with a similar choice on my '95 sedan, I ended up buying an ATE
brand.

I found that there are very few makers of kits for rebuilding master
cylinders. I think that ATE is one of the few?  I wasn't sure what was in
my car (could find no markings other than the MB star while it was mounted)
so rather than gamble on buying a rebuild kit that might be wrong, I just
bought the ATE MC.
Max
Charleston SC