Exactly!

I used to regularly drive a chunk of I-35 that was relatively straight for quite a few miles, then a gentle curve of 35-40 degrees or so, before it went the other way in a big s.

The first snow was quite amusing if you went through about 8 am. There would be maybe 10-30 (2 WD) cars in the ditches before "SUVs" became popular.

When the majority of vehicles were high center of gravity 4WD "SUVs" a few years later, 25=50% of the vehicles were on the side or rolled over; and with even a slight snow, there would be 50-100 in the ditches, sometimes so many that anyone sliding off was likely to hit one or more in the ditch. Most of these people drove the same road to work every day, but never learned.

4wd has no more contact patches (between the tar and the road) than 2wd. In face, the 4wd usually has bigger/wider tires with not much change in vehicle weight, resulting in less lb/sq in pressure on those 4 small contact patches. Even though there is more surface area, the lighter pressure makes it easier to slide. Think about it. does an ice skater use snowshoes or a blade to make the contact with the ice surface? could they gain more control with more contact area?

In fact the reverse is true: the slicker it gets, the smaller and narrower the tire should be. This principle goes for ice and snow both. You DON'T want to "float" on snow while driving.

The loose nut behind the wheel thinks "I have 4WD, I don't have to slow down on the snow/ice? When they slide into the ditch at high speed, the high center of gravity of their "invincible SUV" results in rollovers where my SDL, had I been as stupid, would have stayed upright.

If you went though about 7:30 am, it was downright scary with idiots sliding off all around you and going in the ditch. They'd go flying by , then loose it and slide left or right, bashing anything in the way
fmiser via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 27, 2018 at 1:40 AM