That reminds me, a few winters ago I was driving in a snowstorm. It wasn't
that bad out, the roads were salted well, I was driving the pickup but in 2wd.
In front of me at a stoplight was a Honda SUV, as we pulled away from the light
she accelerated hard and then when the road turned slightly to the right she
veered right off the right side of the road. At first I thought she'd slid but
on later reflection I realized she must have been looking at her phone or
something as she didn't slow down or try to steer out of it.
I stopped to help and of course it was all my fault that she had driven off the
road, she claimed it was "so slippery she couldn't stay on the road at all" and
somehow my big truck being behind her had made it worse.
She'd gotten it so far into the ditch she couldn't drive it out and I couldn't
see anywhere on it to hook on a strap. She "called her husband" and he was "on
his way" so I took off and left her there...
-Curt

    On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 2:40:56 AM EST, fmiser via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 > > Floyd wrote:
> >
> > butbutbut they have FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!

> Randy wrote:
>
> Don't knock it. 4 wheel drive is a wonderful thing in winter.

I don't think Floyd is saying 4WD is bad - just that the it seems
a lot of people seem to think. "The car has 4WD, so I don't have
to slow down, or drive more carefully just because there is snow.
The 4WD will means I can go anywhere at any speed!"

I find it interesting that during a recent snow here I had to
drive in it - and I saw about 6 vehicles in the ditch - 5 were
four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive.  Since I _know_ the
mechanicals improve the performance is those conditions, it sure
suggests its the loose nut behind the wheel that is the source of
the problem.