I shook hands with two presidents, including George HW Bush at a receiving
line at a diplomatic function in NYC in 1973.  Very decent guy.

15 years earlier I met JFK in an elevator at my local NY public library
when he was a US Senator. He was all alone and looked impressive in his
navy blue cashmere overcoat (it was the winter of 1958)  We were staunch
Democrats so my mother made a point of telling JFK how much we admired
him.  He had an aura about him that even I as a kid recognized was special.