Nixon always had what appeared to be a permanent 5 o’clock shadow.  Got a
picture around here of him shaking my Dad’s hand at some event, I don’t think
it was at the same breakfast.  Dad was heavily involved in the local party
workings as a precinct committeeman among other things.  His former business
partner ended up becoming Lt. Governor of Indiana and later president of Lilly
Endowment (+$10B in assets).  Now one of my older brother’s classmates, Clay
Robbins, is chairman of Lilly Endowment.  Big brother did the “Young
Republicans” crap for a few years to further his career.  Not my sort of thing,
I would have just pissed off all of the old rich white ladies who were involved
with it for lack of anything better to do.

-D