Interesting but think I'll stay with a hybrid for now; not my Prius which is 10
years old;  but probably a Volt since a good friend has had one since they came
on the market. He has almost never used his gas engine for trips around
Tallahassee, which is a good sized city.
Besides that, considering the uncertain political situation, the price of gas
could go 'way down, and the price of electricity 'way up. With a Volt, or
similar hybrid, you're covered in either situation. Many on this list have an
income such that they can ignore the price of car fuel, but many of us retirees
cannot.
Gerry
> Range isnt a barrier. If a car can go 300 miles it is a lot more than 99%
> of people need on a daily basis. Average commutes are very short.
>
> The batteries are expensive. That will change over time.
>
> These supercharge things will have batteries in them and suck power from
> the grid off peak or midday when there is excess solar power being
> generated that we now export to Arizona. And the car batteries can be used
> to offset new plant production by pumping power back into the grid during
> peak use times.So a lot of potentially good things.
>
> Wife doesnt want to tank up any more. She has to fill the suv all the time
> and views it as a nuisance. So her next car will be electric because the
> car will interfere with her life less. No oil changes. No brake pads. Just
> tires every now and again, wiper blades. Very zippy performance around
> town. Lots of people will come to similar conclusions. Many wont, and thats
> fine also. Probably wouldnt own one in rural minnesota, for instance. But
> percentage wise we are a very urban nation now.
>

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, 5:55 AM Max Dillon via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com
> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of history, keep in mind that when Bertha Benz took her little
> > day trip, there were no dedicated fuel stations, no dedicated road system
> > with signs, street lights, etc. No trained mechanics or parts stores. No
> > "big oil" to produce and distribute the fuel, oil, grease.  All that
> > infrastructure had to be created and built so that we could enjoy the
> > liberty and resulting productivity gain from cars and trucks.
> >
> > So I don't buy into the argument that electric cars are doomed because of
> > a lack of infrastructure. The major hurtle is range, and then cost. Those
> > will be overcome. We'll need a much larger electrical infrastructure, that
> > will be very expensive. Who will bear that cost?  Probably us tax payers...
> > --
> > Max Dillon
> > Charleston SC
> > '87 300TD