No its not valve overlap. Its just keeping the AFR where it belongs. Egt
goes up as afr goes down, which is opposite of gas. To get enough air
molecules into the motor to burn more fuel, you need higher air density. So
you need higher pressure at similar temp, or lower temp at the same
pressure, etc.

It only really matters at higher duty cycles, because the motor can
tolerate really high egt for short amounts of time. But if you want to be
safe, and you dont want to have to watch your egt like a hawk every time
you cane it, you do the math and provide a cushion with some headroom to
maintain a safe AFR for the motor even at max fuel. This is where most
designs fall short, because it requires a huge turbo to do it right, which
is tremendously laggy on a small displacement motor. It will idle, then
take forever to spool, and then when it does spool the alda adds 2x more
fuel at the same throttle position, which means it is undriveable for
anything except burnouts. An example would be the hx40, which people use to
good effect, but it is actually too small to give you enough air and clean
exhaust at the fuel levels required for 450hp. Smokes like hell for a few
seconds before spool, then goes like hell with high egt and still too much
smoke. Not a very refined package. Going to an hx52 just makes the low rpm
and spool characteristics worse, so it becomes undriveable.

Compounds give you the early spool so the throttle can be used at all rpms
to modulate the power - not just above 3000. Use a vnt or a small he221 or
hx30 with a 6cm housing to get early spool, then use that air mass to spool
the large turbo. The large turbo just pressurizes the room that the small
turbo lives in, so that it can flow 2-3x more air mass than it was designed
to.

This gets back to the intercooler air flow resistance question. Yes 80
lb/min is a huge volume at 14.7 psi. But at 60psia it is a lot less volume
and it flows just fine through the intercooler. Volume flow through the
motor per revolution remains constant. The manifold air density varies by a
factor of 3 or 4, depending upon how efficiently it is compressed and
cooled and what ambient temps are.