Answer to Andrew's well asked question:

Over the past 25+ years, coal power plant regulation, via EPA and State Air
Quality regulations has become increasingly draconian, To such an extent
that a new coal fired generation facility could not be approved, and
modification of existing coal fired generation reached the point of "no
economic return".

The lead time for approval for a new coal fired electric facility escalated
so more than 25 years of applications followed by rejection for each
element of the plant, all the while, tying up investment resources of the
power company.

Finally, in the past 8 years, coal was "outlawed completely" as a power
source for new plants, by being "out regulated".... The common wisdom, of
those who follow such things, was that decision was done to force the
acceptance of wind, solar and alternate sources, which were at the same
time given special pass in tax incentives, government grants, and near lack
of regulation, by comparison to coal or gas fired plants.

In 1982 I was involved in the design , development and production of
scrubber systems for coal plants to reduce emissions. This was mandated by
regulation from EPA and each system cost multiple millions to install and
further millions to maintain, while being continually monitored by EPA
staff and government regulators. If the plants failed inspections, fines
were mandated, on a per day basis for each day out of compliance... and
they were not "parking ticket fines"... thousands of dollars per day.

Meanwhile consumer price for electricity kept rising to cover all the costs
of compliance. New plants were proposed, with newer tech designs.. but
never approved to be built.  Alternate energy plants, by comparison, have
been "fast tracked".

Just my views, based on my experiences in the field building systems to
work within the regs...

As a comparative, look at China, which has opened a new coal plant each
week for the past, I believe, 5 years...
No EPA there....;))