Or sand it smooth and start painting with Rustoleum and a foam roller. Again, would not be any worse than a worn  out paint job or a really cheap respray paint job. If you don't thin the paint enough, you end up with what looks like orange peel on a spray job. Thinning requires more coats and more care to avoid runs. I have painted a couple of things using that method and they did not turn out too bad. One was an 80 gallon compressor tank painted bright orange like the newer deVillbis   sp?) compressors. I had an old one with the green tank and decided I should upgrade the tank before it blew me into another time zone. Bought a new one that was in primer and painted it orange. Must be 20 years back and it still looks good. Of course, it spends all of its time inside so no sunlight fading. My son has that compressor now. Also painted the upper part of the hull on a Lund aluminum boat red. Not sure how well it has stood up as we sold that boat after a couple of years and thus no longer see it. Painted a boat trailer red a couple of years back too. Might be fading a little but I am not too concerned given it is a boat trailer.

RB