Having over 20 years of hardwood furniture building in my back pocket, I can
assure you that MinWax Spray Spar Varnish is an ideal finish for these sorts of
parts. It seals and stabilizes the wood so it doesn’t shrink and swell with
changes in temperature and humidity. More importantly, the UV blocking
characteristics keep the finish from fading due to the massive amount of direct
sunlight these parts receive.

Oil will seal the wood but won’t protect it. And being an oil, it eventually
breaks down from exposure to the sun and requires regular (re) application to
maintain the finish.

-D