Sydney to LA on the a380 qantas run two complete flight crews. One handles
takeoff and landing. The other handles the middle bit. Crew 1 sleeps in the
middle.

For takeoff and landing there is always an extra officer on the flight deck
whose job is only to watch the other three and pick up any errors or
irregularities. A friend is a pilot with them.