It does if the other pilot goes to sleep as well. I've read about two instances
of that happening to major airline pilots; one plane flew out over the Pacific,
and the other either overflew, or woke up before they overflew, their
destination on a flight from the West Coast to somewhere in Minnesota IIRC.
Gerry