I’m not going to get into the discussion over HOAs versus no restrictions, but
this is a point well taken and one side of the HOA/deed restrictions discussion
that rarely comes to light.

An HOA doesn’t “tell you how to live (right)”.  Bylaws and covenants outline
community standards that have to be met or exceeded. Most are pretty simple,
but I do believe that for many who opt into a deed restricted community do so
for the reason above - they’ve  made a substantial investment in their home and
want to do whatever possible to protect the value of their investment. I can
assure you that property values for comparable homes that I see are noticeably
higher for the property that’s in a deed restricted community. There’s a reason
for this.

Whether you live in a deed restricted community or not, you are probably not
aware that your municipality has ordinances in place that serve much the same
purpose, for example, the inability to render animals or make soap. I’ve seen
these very restrictions in place on several properties we’ve owned over the
years that were not in deed restricted communities. Sure, you’re not going to
pull the “Granny from Beverly Hillbillies” stuff around your cement pond, but
who’s to say your neighbor won’t decide to do so?

My point is that HOAs or deed restrictions are not nearly as onerous as most
people make them out to be, that’s all.

-D