Daughter bought a house. No disclosure of HOA.   Lo and behold, there is a HOA.  Got a copy of the bylaws.  Most of it is innocuous, but I am irritated by "no clotheslines" one.   Why should "natural" and "energy saving" be illegal?     I'm inclined to claim "no disclosure, no HOA" but most of the neighbors are very nice.  Many are retired military. (Just lost a WWII bomber pilot and a korea war pilot)  The HOA spends the dues money to maintain the entrances and such, so its an ok HOA.   We do some volunteer work for the HOA in the winter.     wunna the jackass neighbors called the city on her because we let wildflowers bloom in parts of the yard before mowing.  City claimed wildflowers are "noxious weeds."  Blah blah...

There are new owners of a house down the street from her.  He is military, (deployed right after they moved in) and their kid was killed in a car accident in town right after they moved in, so most neighbors are willing to cut them some slack, but most of the time, they have 5-6 vehicles parked on the grass (mostly dirt and tree roots now)in front of the 3-4000 ft sq ranch house.  The house is situated long side to the street, so it is 70-80 feet long.   HOA does not forbid this, (parking on what is supposed to be lawn) as they all move, mostly daily. Neighbors are talking to them privately, asking them to park in the drive or the paved backyard.   It has helped somewhat.  To me, sowing some tolerance, and talking with them privately is a better approach than invoking the long arm of johnny law.   This too shall pass.  They will move, or their kids/renters will go, eventually.