On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 20:46:43 -0500 Curley McLain via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Q: Why are many of the US built wretched ricebox cars better
> built/reliable than American iron and the Alabama spawn of of DBAG?
>
> A:  Because W Edwards Deming was asked by the Japanese to help them
> build better products.  He taught them well.  He also taught the
> Americans during WWII.  After the war, the American companies threw out
> what he taught them and the women who did the SPC in the plants.   They
> went back to therbligs.   The american bean counters liked therbligs.
> They were still using therbligs in the 70s and into the 80s.  The
> Japanese listened well,  learned well, and did NOT throw out the
> systems, but improved on them.   Look up the case of the Ford
> transmissions built by mazda in the 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therblig

Therbligs are 18 kinds of elemental motions, used in the study of motion
economy in the workplace. A workplace task is analyzed by recording each
of the therblig units for a process, with the results used for
optimization of manual labour by eliminating unneeded movements.

The word therblig was the creation of Frank Bunker Gilbreth and Lillian
Moller Gilbreth, American industrial psychologists who invented the field
of time and motion study. It is a reversal of the name Gilbreth, with
'th' transposed.

The basic motion elements

A basic motion element is one of a set of fundamental motions required
for a worker to perform a manual operation or task. The set consists of
18 elements, each describing a standardized activity.

    Transport empty [unloaded] (TE): receiving an object with an empty
        hand. (Now called "Reach".)
    Grasp (G): grasping an object with the active hand.
    Transport loaded (TL): moving an object using a hand motion.
    Hold (H): holding an object.
    Release load (RL): releasing control of an object.
    Preposition (PP): positioning and/or orienting an object for the next
        operation and relative to an approximation location.
    Position (P): positioning and/or orienting an object in the defined
        location.
    Use (U): manipulating a tool in the intended way during the
        course working.
    Assemble (A): joining two parts together.
    Disassemble (DA): separating multiple components that were joined.
    Search (Sh): attempting to find an object using the eyes and hands.
    Select (St): choosing among several objects in a group.
    Plan (Pn): deciding on a course of action.
    Inspect (I): determining the quality or the characteristics of an
        object using the eyes and/or other senses.
    Unavoidable delay (UD): waiting due to factors beyond the worker's
        control and included in the work cycle.
    Avoidable delay (AD): waiting within the worker's control which
        causes idleness that is not included in the regular work cycle.
    Rest (R): resting to overcome a fatigue, consisting of a pause in the
        motions of the hands and/or body during the work cycles or between
        them.
    Find (F): A momentary mental reaction at the end of the Search cycle.
        Seldom used.