124 lower ball joints have the rim on the opposite side as a 123, so that
method won't work because the stem is in the way and needs to be dealt
with.  I usually cut off the stem with the saw-z-all in order to get
clearance to fit the press or to make a flat surface to pound on.  Leaving
the control arm mounted in the car means not much clearance between fender
and ball joint to swing a hammer.  The first set I did, I cut them off and
hammered them out, that was a lot of work.  Second set, rigged up adapters
to press them out after cutting off stem and heated up the arm / joint with
a torch, they pressed out pretty easy.
Max
Charleston SC