Please post a picture of your modified HF press.  As Max requested, if you can post info about the "good" one, we'd appreciate that too.

Peter Frederick via Mercedes wrote on 11/3/19 8:00 AM:
The Harbor Freight tool and it's clones is too soft and bends when significant
force is applied, which then causes the joint to tilt and either get stuck and
refuse to move or become very difficult to get seated.

We ended up making a W126/W123 tool out of the one I bought -- welded 1/4"
steel plates on the sides and ground the end down to fit into the control arm.
Works great for that, but can no longer be used for anything else.

I bought a better one (as was recommended on the PeachParts forum I think, I
don't remember) and it's been doing great work with ball joints for use for the
last six or seven years.  Actual ball joint replacement on a W124 with the tool
is quite easy once you get to it.  Not bad at all, and no heat is required.