I know I could have put meat in the freezer with a 410 slug or with a rifle.  (i'm talking 50 years ago)   The state only allowed 12, 16 or 20 ga slugs.   I had no need for any of those otherwise, until I took up trapshooting.  By then I had lost interest in sitting in a tree freezing and hoping bambi blundered by.   There were not that many bambis at the time.   Later, in HS, I went out with a friend of mine.   He had slugs, and also a 303. He shot a field rat with the 303, and we hustled back to the camper and hid the rifle.   We were warming up water for hot chocolate when there was a knock o n the door.   Game warden...     he had heard the rifle from wherever he was and went hunting.    He had no luck that day. Later we took the  1 ton flatbed truck to the neighbor's timber and recovered the field rat.

A few years ago, field rats were thick but you still could not use anything else.

Greg Fiorentino via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 23, 2019 at 5:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of slugs. I had an experience of zero penetration from a Rem 12 ga. slug fired from my 870. It struck a good-sized whitetail buck in the shoulder at about 45 yds. It flattened the slug to the shape and size of a silver dollar, and slid up to the neck just under the skin on the near side. The buck fell away from me, and the second shot hit the heart.

I will be impressed if the new trigger turns that pattern into a group. If rifle is legal in your area, that other group will put venison in your freezer for sure.

Greg