The move was seen locally as a middle finger to the union.  I seem to recall is
following on a prolonged labor action that shut things down for a while.  May
have been coincidental to opening the SC plant that has no unions.  It did open
up a bunch of very large and expensive residential real estate, which impacted
the top of the market when the executives moved to ChiTown

clay