I knew little of the older JD diesel tractors until one day when I was in the
generator business and we had a generator rental to deliver. When we did so
there was no way to get it off the Landoll trailer we had delivered it on. It
was a 350kW unit that weighed about 10,000 pounds. We sold it to a small dirt
track oval raceway outside of Muncie, IN that was going to use it to power
lighting for night races. This place was in the boonies and as a result did not
have the required three phase utility power available for the lighting.

So the guy goes running off and comes back a few minutes later with a guy
driving this old tricycle style John Deere with a big flywheel on the side. He
chains it up to the skid base of the generator, opens the throttle and drops
the clutch. This thing barely grunted while it drug a 10,000 pound piece of
equipment off the Landoll and across the grass to it’s resting place.

When I got closer and had a look it was a horizontal two cylinder with s stroke
that had to be measured in feet, or so it seemed. Had gasoline starting cups on
it, too. It was a really cool tractor.

-D