Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> They love their Bolts. They are on their second set of Bolts I think. Pay
> the 250/mo lease and turn it in for a new one in a few years. No
> maintenance and no fuel. Hard to get much cheaper driving than that in a
> new vehicle.

So charging them is free somehow?

Back of the envelope math, if I leased two Bolts that's $6,000 year,
every year. Add to that the higher cost of registration and insurance on
a new car, and the need to rent a conventional car anytime I need to go
anywhere beyond the battery range.

Compare to the older cars I normally buy, which would set me back maybe
$8,000, once, and I can get some amount of that back when I sell
them. They are cheap to register, cheap to insure.

So after roughly a year, it seems to me that I'm money ahead not having
lease payments. I don't spend anywhere close to $500/month in
gasoline. Even including regular maintenance I don't spend that. What am
I overlooking?

Driving a "new car" doesn't provide any value for me, by itself.

It's not a clear win to me, though it's subjective to some extent.

Allan